By Amanda Ortiz
Nisi is a creative, talented friend who's also our social media manager here at pspoets. If you haven't met her yet, this interview will give a little insight into her awesome soul.
1. What is your name? Denise "Nisi" Mckenzie
2. Where are you from? Northwest Ohio
3. What is your profession? Poet, Creative Human... at my paying job I am a "Pinterest Specialist".
4. What are your hobbies? I like to travel, write, read, take photos, make art, listen to music, garden, cook...anything that allows me to be creative. I also took up snowboarding last year.
5. Why is writing special to you? For as long as I can remember, I've kept a notebook with my scribbles, poems, journal entries, etc. Writing has always been there and always will be.
6. Who is your favorite writer or poet? Lately, Lawrence Ferlinghetti.
7. What is your favorite book? Also a hard one! The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño.
8. What inspires you to write creatively? Life, death, the seasons in between, the places I go, the natural world vs. the mandmade.
9. What is your best advice for other writers? Keep living. Don't get too caught up in yourself. Find the unsaid in the world around you and create a voice for it. Let everything inspire you.
10. What is your favorite thing about being part of pspoets? I've been looking for a group like this since I left college. After living in 3 major cities, I've found it! It's awesome to be a part of something that I am passionate about, and to watch it grow is pretty exciting.
Thank you for being you, Nisi! Check out her work and photos @nisipoesy.